New Zealand

New Zealand

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Christchurch Bus Tour!

So yesterday (Sunday 02/22) I got to go on a bus tour of Christchurch (which the locals just write as ChCh). This was a free event through LU, so that was great. I went with my friend Amanda (also from CSU), and Rebecca (Kiwi). We first went through the actual city of ChCh, stopping at the ChCh Botanical Gardens, which I'll post pictures of below. It was the 4 year anniversary of the earthquake, so people were honoring those affected by floating these beautiful flowers down a river/creek.




After the gardens we went more into the city area, stopping to see the new cathedral (the old one was famously affected by the earthquake) pictured below. Unfortunately we couldn't go inside due to a concert, but they had some lovely stained glass windows.


From here we went to the pier in ChCh and ate lunch there. I wasn't too hungry so I got apple pear juice and a caramel bar I couldn't even finish half of (SO RICH).





It was a very grey skies kind of day, but the ocean was a really strange green color! My ocean back home is super dark blue so that's kind of cool, even though they're technically the same ocean ;) Well after ChCh we went to some AMAZING surrounding towns, including Lyttleton and Sumner. We stopped on the side of the road for pictures, but didn't stop for touristy things otherwise we were going to miss dinner.





That was pretty much it! Not incredibly in depth, but it was so nice to be able to see some of our surrounding area! I really want to go back to Lyttleton and Sumner, both were very scenic and cute towns. I hate big cities, so these were more my pace :) Oh and here's a nice sunset view from our kitchen window!



Still LOVING it here! Everyone is incredibly kind and friendly. New post to come soon on classes: week one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there sweet Marin! I just finished reading your blog - - from start to present. Loved all the details of how you chose NZ, your packing list, your bucket list, plane ride, and getting settled at LU. I have to admit, I don't recognize much of what is on your bucket list...so I'm going to LOVE learning about NZ through your posts. Could you post some photos of the campus, your room, and all? It'd be fun to see where home is for you for the next 5 months. It was sunny and 60+ degrees here today - - isn't that crazy?! Pastor Ryan and his family have arrived - - and Christ the King is a happening place. :) Alex Fairhurst is a state champ (YAY) and we're all proud. And we're going to Disneyworld for a week in mid-March - - staying at the Swan/Dolphin. Wish you were going to be there. Hugs and love to you - - our adventurous international student. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Beth! Anything for you;) One of these days I just need to take my camera around campus and take pictures of everything! :)

    ReplyDelete