New Zealand

New Zealand

Saturday, February 28, 2015

What Internationals Think Of Americans

It's been SUPER interesting learning what all my new international friends think of Americans. Here are some thoughts or quotes I have from people about America!

  • You guys have the BEST food. Our food here is so bad compared to yours (this is the guy obsessed with marshmallow creme). - New Zealand
  • Do all Americans eat bread with butter and jam? (toast) - China
  • I'm scared to go to America because I think I would lose my life, everyone there has guns! -Ghana
  • Your name is Marin and you're from America? Do you have family in Norway? - Norway
  • In all other countries the policemen carry sticks, but yours carry guns! You have guns and natural disasters, therefore America is the most dangerous country. - Ghana
  • Do all Americans cook rice in the microwave? - China
  • You seriously don't know the rules of rugby?! - Everyone international
  • Americans don't know anything about other countries! That's the flag of England. - Netherlands
  • You're from a small town of 9,000? That's a really big city in Norway. - Norway
  • You have friends married already?! That is too young. Even 25 is too young. - China and Japan
  • Why does everyone from America wear those funny looking sandals? (Chacos) - New Zealand
I'm sure there's more, but this is what comes to mind right now. We ate dinner with a boy called Bismark from Ghana, and apparently the only news of America that goes international is about guns. So that was an extremely interesting conversation! Overall people from Asia (and Ghana) are more negative about Americans than those from Europe who are kind of in the middle, and people from New Zealand love us! I was pretty surprised by how cool the Kiwis think we are, I just assumed all international people kind of hate Americans! Europeans acted the way I expected, indifferent but can be a bit condescending, and those from Asia mostly just make comments about our food. The guy from Ghana has been the most negative about America, but not in an attacking kind of way, they've all been EXTREMELY friendly! And when I say negative towards America, they mean the government, not the people. So that was all kind of surprising to me! But like I said, no one has been unkind, everyone is lovely.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite yet post Marin. Just read it twice. Laughed so hard reading all the comments about America and Americans. What a great experience you're having. And have you heard that our sweet little town of Snohoville was named the 9th greatest small town in America? How cool is that?! The first town was Grand Marais, MN. I believe you've been there?

    ReplyDelete