New Zealand

New Zealand

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

First Impressions of LU

So I've now been on campus for a solid 2.5 days, and I love it. 70's every day, trees and green grass, it's beautiful. I probably already explained my hall (they are called "halls", never "dorms") so it's 6 rooms to one kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom has one toilet, one sink, and two showers. And it's all coed. The kitchen is pretty standard, fridge/freezer, table and chairs, stove/oven, and a sink. No dishwasher. My room is small but cozy, and is maybe...10ft X 8ft? I don't know, I'm just counting how many bricks are on the wall...but my room came furnished and with towels and bedding and a MASSIVE cork board practically the size of the wall. I had no idea I would have this, so I hung up my Colorado flag and big Lincoln calendar, and ordered a bunch of pictures off of the NZ Snap Fish website. Oh, and right now it's me, Jong from China, and a guy from Japan whose name I can't remember.

I walked campus a few times with my friend Amanda from CSU, and it's very cute. There's a nice rugby field by my hall, a big practice field, lots of halls and classroom buildings, LUSA which is like the student activities building, a small rec center, a bus stop, a GORGEOUS library, a bookstore, dining hall, and Mrs.O's which is our on campus bar. Drinking age is 18, so pretty much all of us are legal. I didn't even get carded! Amanda and I also walked into the town of Lincoln (25 minutes from Christchurch) and they have a Subway (sandwiches), 2 coffee shops, some hair salons, drug stores, liquor store, nice restaurant, and the Grouse, the local pub. We went to the Grouse last night and it was really chill, I got their crushed apple cider, and that was really good and refreshing. Yeah, cause 20 year olds can drink here. It's about a mile walk one way, maybe a bit longer.

New World is the grocery store right next to campus, so that's where we get our groceries. I just got frozen veggies, fresh apples and carrots, a block of cheese, cereal and milk, yogurt, rice, juice, a pizza, and a couple snacks. Oh and shampoo and all that. IT'S SO EXPENSIVE OH MY GOSH. And the milk doesn't go "nonfat, 1%, 2%, vitamin d" etc., so it's like "slim, power, fun" and weird stuff like that! Like what?! Oh, and they don't refrigerate their eggs or almond milk and stuff. Isn't that weird too? Also, we asked about canned mandarin oranges and they're all "you can can oranges?" so that was awk. New World is like a 10 minute walk, if that.

I've met a couple new people, everyone here is SO friendly. Like you hold the door open for someone and they're always like "cheers" and it's so cute! Today was the official move in day, so campus is nice and busy now. I'm super pumped for the semester! We got Metro cards to use the bus to get into Christchurch and stuff, so we'll probably be using those soon to explore :)

I think that's about it for now! I seriously am in LOVE with this area. I could totally move here. I can't wait to explore the city and island some more <3

No comments:

Post a Comment